Sunday, March 28, 2010

Opening Remarks

As I type this sentence right here and now, Michael Guido is playing with the very sleepy stray kitty that has found its way onto our table at the Odeon Cafe. It is pretty adorable.

Initial observation that I will then extrapolate to a much broader metaphor about Athens: there are stray animals everywhere. From the kitties in cafes to the dogs that hang out on the steps of Parliament, this city has a certain wild edge. The animals are mostly docile and friendly, but we have been warned that occasionally they will bite. And ain't nobody want to see a doctor in Athens. Or a Vet. Would you go to the vet for an animal bite? These are questions I think I should have answered in my mind by now.

Right, I lost my point. Maybe I can lean real hard on this metaphor and say that we feel stray in this city. Communication comes at an extreme difficulty, though I've quickly mastered my way to "Excuse me, could I have a Greek Coffee, medium sweet?" The streets make absolutely no sense in Mets, the neighborhood we're living in. And we're going to be doing a lot of walking without ever really putting down roots. Strays.

We hope you use this blog as a way to channel our outsider status to give you a snapshot of our Quarter in this city. It could be funny, it will sometimes be dramatic and hand-wavingly exasperated, but most of all, it will be true.

And especially given the power-outages [Mom Was Right!], mobile communication difficulties [SIM card?], and general confusion about how to stay in touch with all of you that we love in the United States of Our Friends and Families, this blog will be a fine way to follow what the crap we are up to.

So stay with us.

GRAHAM

No comments:

Post a Comment