Tuesday, March 30, 2010

How do you say "lush" in Greek?

Wine. You can buy alcohol in almost every store in Athens. The liquor is pretty expensive, but wine and Ouzo are cheap. There is a particularly novel kind of wine that comes in a liter and a half plastic bottle, same as water. It’s not good wine, but I’m still so amused that it comes in a plastic bottle that I’ll probably keep buying it for a while. It costs less than 2 euros, so it’s not exactly a terrible habit. You can get a bottle of Ouzo for about the same, depending on how high a quality you are looking for. Apparently you are supposed to mix Ouzo with water or ice, which I didn’t realize. It definitely makes a difference in taste, with the added bonus of changing colors. When you add the ice cube or water, the clear liquid changes to a sort of cloudy pale blue. It’s still not my favorite (kind of tastes like death licorice), but I think I’m starting to develop a taste for it. If nothing else it’s stronger than wine, which is always something I appreciate in a beverage. Beer is also plentiful and usually cheaper than soda. This means that I rarely have a meal without some manner of alcohol. That said, I haven’t really been drunk. It’s more of a casual kind of drinking, which is nice. Hopefully we’ll go clubbing sometime soon. I would love to actually have a Greek bar / club / dancing / drinking experience and maybe make some Greek friends. It could only be good. Who knows? Maybe my attractive waiter will be there. (Seriously, he was so unbelievably attractive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment